SA CORRECTIONS ANNOUNCES NEW CHIEF DEPUTY WARDEN JAMES MURPHY

SAN ANDREAS DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS ANNOUNCES NEW CHIEF DEPUTY WARDEN JAMES MURPHY
###
The San Andreas Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (SADCR) is pleased to announce the appointment of James Murphy as the new Chief Deputy Warden of the San Andreas State Prison, Fort Carson (SASP-FC). With over 20 years of experience in corrections/law enforcement and a proven track record of leadership, Mr. Murphy is poised to bring significant expertise and innovation to the role.

James Murphy began his career as a Correctional Officer with the Department and steadily rose through the ranks, demonstrating exceptional commitment and skill at each level. His dedication to the principles of rehabilitation and security has earned him numerous accolades and respect from both peers and subordinates.

In a recent interview, Chief Deputy Warden Murphy shared his vision for the future of SASP-FC and his plans for enhancing the facility’s operations.

Q: Congratulations on your new role, Chief Deputy Warden Murphy. Can you tell us a bit about your background and what led you to pursue a career in corrections?

A: Prior to my adult life and my role here in SA Corrections, I grew up in the suburbs of Boston. I always admired the work you'd see the Police Officers and Firefighters do in the city and the constant stuff they had to deal with while out and about doing their own professions and trying to earn for their family. I joined a Police Explorer post with the local police department and started learning about the world of Law Enforcement. I specifically became interested in the corrections aspect of law enforcement, making sure people don't repeat their offenses and make a new life for themselves. I think this is the most important part of the justice system in our country, you can pro-active police all you want but it ultimately comes down to how we rehabilitate and counsel those incarcerated for their crimes so they do not reoffend in their community and end right back up in our system. Thus, this kick started my desire in working within the corrections field and expanding my education at Greenglass College to assist me in doing so.

Q: What are your primary goals as the new Chief Deputy Warden of SASP-FC?

A: My primary goals as the Chief Deputy Warden is to ensure a safe, professional, educational, and receptive environment for not only our inmates but for our employees as well. Alongside my goals of ensuring the Division of Adult Institutions, Division of Adult Parole Operations, and Office of Correctional Safety are functioning to their full potential without any problems.

Q: Can you elaborate on any specific initiatives you plan to implement?

A: At this time, there are no new planned initiatives. Our main focus at the moment is to ensure the operation and functionality of the facility and our organization is as functional and flawless as can be.

Q: How do you plan to engage with the community and other stakeholders in your new role?

A: Public image as a whole is hard to maintain for an agency such us ours since we aren't really seen in the public's eye majority of the time. The men and women of our Department work behind concrete walls to keep the community safe on a day-to-day basis. However, I plan to try and facilitate many public engagement events with the community and it's leaders to see how we operate, our different functions and the kind of people behind those concrete walls.

Chief Deputy Warden Murphy’s appointment marks a significant step forward for SASP-FC, reflecting the SADCR’s commitment to leadership excellence and progressive correctional practices.
###
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
01/AUG/2024

Public Information Officer
Correctional Officer II. Grant Armstrong
[email protected]