One to Watch: Interview with Officer Henry Callahan

One to Watch: Interview with Officer Henry Callahan
###
Brief Introduction:
In this month’s edition of One to Watch, we have the privilege of interviewing Officer Henry Callahan, a dedicated professional serving in both the Division of Adult Parole Operations and the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development within the San Andreas Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Officer Callahan has built a respected career characterized by his commitment to public safety and the rehabilitation of offenders. His dual role in the Division of Adult Parole Operations, where he oversees the reintegration of inmates back into society, and the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development, where he helps identify and onboard future corrections officers, makes him a unique and essential figure within our department.

With his deep experience in both sectors, Officer Callahan has navigated the complexities of law enforcement, rehabilitation, and human resources, demonstrating a well-rounded understanding of our mission at the SADCR. In this interview, we explore his journey, the challenges he faces, and his vision for the future of corrections work.

Questions and Answers:

Q: Can you start by telling us a bit about your journey into the Department of Corrections and what drew you to this line of work?
A: Sure, I always wanted to take part in a Law Enforcement Agency to serve my country and community, to ensure it’s a safe and healthy place for others to live in. Aside from that, my uncle is a police officer, and I was always inspired by his dedication and honesty. I moved to Los Santos a few years ago and saw an advertisement for the San Andreas Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation hiring personnel. I found it a great opportunity to finally prove myself.

Q: As someone who works in both the Division of Adult Parole Operations and the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development, how do you balance the unique challenges of these two roles?
A: Well, it’s really hard to say which ones are eligible for parole because by appearance, everyone seems innocent and claims they want to become better people once they are out. But you can’t actually tell what’s in their mind. Once a parolee is out, they either serve their time and genuinely rehabilitate or become worse and go back to criminal activities.

Q: The Division of Adult Parole Operations is critical in ensuring the successful reintegration of inmates into society. What strategies do you find most effective in reducing recidivism and helping parolees reintegrate?
A: Passion, dedication, and personality. We don’t want people who are just here for a job and benefits. Those are the ones who resign or fail soon after making their way into our facility. A good candidate should be fully aware of what they’re going to experience and their actual responsibilities.

Q: In your experience, what qualities do you look for in new recruits, and how has the recruitment process evolved during your time in the department?
A: I’m still relatively new to the Division of Adult Parole Operations, so my role has primarily involved ride-alongs, and I don’t see much overlap between the two divisions since they offer very different tasks.

Q: What are some of the biggest challenges you face in your work, both in the Division of Adult Parole Operations and the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development? How do you overcome these challenges?
A: Seeing that a parolee has genuinely turned their life around, gotten a better job, and improved their manners is incredibly valuable. It shows that they’ve corrected themselves, which is the goal.

Q: Can you share a memorable moment or case from your time in the Division of Adult Parole Operations that had a profound impact on you?
A: I don’t go on ride-alongs that often, but I’ll never forget my first day in the division. I won’t go into details, but it left a lasting impression.

Q: The recruitment of new officers is key to maintaining a strong workforce in corrections. What advice do you have for individuals looking to join the SADCR as correctional officers?
A: Most candidates already have an idea of what to expect, but once they pass all the employment filters and make their way into the training academy, they’ll have the chance to prepare themselves both physically and mentally for the challenges of the job.

Q: With your years of experience, what changes or improvements would you like to see within the Division of Adult Parole Operations or the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development?
A: Although this might not be as hard as you thought it would be, you still have to prepare yourself for the worst things that can happen in our facility. Once you’re prepared for every situation, things become a lot easier.

Q: In your opinion, what is the most rewarding aspect of working in corrections, particularly in the Division of Adult Parole Operations and the Office of Peace Officer Selection and Employee Development?
A: Correctional officers have always played a serious role in our community, and that role has only become more important. Seeing more parolees working on themselves and progressing is highly rewarding.

Q: Finally, where do you see the future of corrections work heading, and what role do you think the SADCR should play in shaping that future?
A: Hopefully, more parolees will continue working on themselves, while those who don’t are returned to prison. On the recruitment side, as more officers join and become involved, it’ll make recruitment tasks easier for us to handle.
###
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
13/SEP/2024
Officer Grant Armstrong
Public Information Officer
[email protected]